Sunday 19 August 2012

The sights

Well I have to say the trip has gotten a lot better from the catastrophe that was my luggage event in Toronto. Don't get me wrong, I still don't have it, but they said they would try to locate it and send it my way, so fingers crossed. In the mean time I've been seeing the sights and eating the food, my favourite part. Lauren, my Australian friend who I happened to meet in England when I was there for a year doing roughly the same thing as I am now, has been showing me the sights. Its funny, we met doing the exact same thing, we were both taking a large chunk of time off and travling, and it just so happened we were living and working in the same pub. She was in the room right next to mine on the third floor of the pub we worked at. So now I'm here in Australia visiting her and enjoying every minute of it.

We went to quite a few places in one day, the harbour, the opera house, the royal botanical gardens and the state library which I have to say is spectacular, beautiful stainglass windows, but I am partial to libraries. To walk around a new city is such an enormous thrill for me, I know it may sound silly but I get such a high from walking for hours and seeing new things everywhere I turn.

Yesterday my three roomates and I took a ferry trip, which was free, to cockatoo island. The ferry ride was great, and you can take some amazing photos from the ferry, but the island itself left me unimpressed. Its an industrial island, and it was used by the navy quite a few years ago, but now it is basically an island of contempory art pieces. It was an experience, but I do not think I will go again, I am extremely glad it was free.

Tomorrow is the Blue Mountains, I have high hopes for those, I've had a few people tell me, Australians, that I should go there. I will definately post about that once I come back.
Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment